Monday 21 April 2014

Aegis Defense Line

Back in June 2013 the writing on the wall was that the flyers were coming (maybe it was already there and I just hadn't started reading walls yet)... :P

Anyhow, as my army contains no flyers and I had no immediate plans of adding any, I decided to follow the crowd and get myself an Aegis Defense Line (and more importantly, the Quad Cannon with Skyfire it gives access to). 
I have no pictures of unpacking and assembly as the wall is basically what you'd expect, a bunch of wall elements... I built the Quad Cannon, but have yet to finish painting it, so expect another separate post when I do :) Here is instead a picture of the wall in action for the first time, once again against some nasty Necron scum. The scouts in the picture are enjoying a particularly tasty +2 cover save thanks to mysterious objectives :D

At some point back in the autumn I managed to get around to spray painting the wall black but apart from that I've simply used it as-is... A few weeks ago however I finally managed to buckle up and get around to paint it. Luckily I picked up a random can of blue paint in a modelling shop and decided to give it a go. I went with blue simply so it could fit with my Ultramarines, even though it might not be the best colour for worn battlefield barricades...

Nice covering, but damn it's shiny! So I had to work around that... First step was to drybrush all edges and rims with Leadbelcher. Nothing fancy, just simple, quick and easy...

Followed by a good wash of Devlan Mud (bottom barricade)

To get rid of that dreadful blue shine I drybrushed the blue armour plates with Macragge Blue to tone it down a bit (top barricade for comparison)..

Finally, I painted the imperial crests black to have a proper base to work with, along with bullet-holes etc. The eagles were painted brown, followed by gold and then washed with Devlan Mud. The bullet-holes were simply painted with Leadbelcher and given a black wash...

And voila! Only a few hours of work and a result I'm actually quite happy with :D Hopefully some pics of the finished Quad Cannon will follow soon, but for now, enjoy the finished result...

No comments:

Post a Comment