Tuesday 26 November 2013

WIP Land Raider

I have the best friends! :D

So I turned 30 a few weeks ago and a bunch of my lovely friends decided to pool their resources together and get me some awesome presents...
 

Based on the content of this blog it was decided that my army needed some Heavy Support (I might have mentioned it at some point) and hence they gave me the awesome Land Raider! 


Taking a few days to get over the hangovers from our party, I immediately set out to start building this beast of a tank! So eager was I, that I forgot to take any pictures before I started, so this is the first one, showing the inner compartment. The rubber bands are there to ensure that it glues together nicely without me holding it tight for hours :)
With outer armor-plates added...
And then the tracks...

Finally is was time to add the top, again glued and rubbered down to dry appropriately...

Now, the model I received for my present is the "standard" pattern Land Raider model aka Phobos. The Space Marine Codex does however offer another 2 additional variants known as Redeemer and Crusader. Games Workshop sell a separate spure with their weapons. Long story short, I decided to magnetizing the weapon mounts to enable exchange with the redeemer/crusader pack should I ever feel like that in the future...

To do this I glued two 3mm rare-earth magnets on the back of the mounts, and two corresponding magnets to a length of sprue

This length of spure just fit inside the door where the mounts is located.

Rinse and repeat for all 4 openings and both doors and mounts.

Finally, it was a simple matter of building the weapons (2 hard hitting twin-linked lascannons + a twin-linked heavy bolter) and mount those...

For comparison, here's a shot of the Land Raider with a Rhino I'm currently also building :)

Now all there is left is the simple matter of painting the beast :P Thanks again guys, I reckon there is still hours and hours of hobbying left in this project :D

No comments:

Post a Comment